A Kerry family is raising awareness of the risks of getting weight-loss surgery abroad.
38-year-old, mother-of-three Lisa Dooley, who was living in Tralee but originally from Castleisland, died on October 8th having undergone gastric sleeve surgery in Turkey in July.
Her brother and sister, Michael and Anna Quilligan, believe complications from the surgery resulted in their sister’s death.
They’re warning people of the dangers of these procedures, which are often arranged through non-medical reps online, with no regard to patient safety or aftercare.
Michael Quilligan says regulation is needed, and that people are influenced by online advertising, and seeing people look thinner in photos after their surgery.