Councillors have voiced their opposition to closing Killarney's Main Street to traffic over the weekend during the summer.
Independent councillor Donal Grady was one of a number of councillors who spoke against the updated plans to exclude traffic from some parts of the town during July and August.
Killarney MD manager Angela McAllen gave an update on the town's mobility plan, which includes outdoor dining provisions and pedestrianising streets for a period.
In particular, there was opposition to the proposal to close Main Street between 11am Saturday to 8am on Monday during July and August.
Councillor Donal Grady said there are 15,000 locals living in Killarney who need to be considered, and not just businesses, adding there's no need to close down the town to all traffic.
Labour councillor Marie Moloney said she's heard it all before and predicted Ms McAllen will be back in August saying the street closure will have to be continued.
Independent councillor Niall Botty O'Callaghan claimed Killarney was one of the safest towns in Ireland last year in relation to COVID-19, despite no vaccinations being available.
He added the existing footpaths on Main Street are among the biggest in the county, ensuring adequate space.
In response, council engineer John Ahern said there were concerns about people queuing on streets last year, 2.8m-wide footpaths aren't sufficient at times and changes will be well publicised.