Club Football Championships Weekend Review

Sep 22, 2020 08:09 By radiokerrysport
Club Football Championships Weekend Review Club Football Championships Weekend Review
Share this article

Junior 1/4 Finals <strong>Annascaul 1-13 Duagh 15 points</strong> Annascaul opened the scoring, but Duagh were quick to follow and the sides

Junior 1/4 Finals

Annascaul 1-13 Duagh 15 points

Annascaul opened the scoring, but Duagh were quick to follow and the sides were evenly matched on the score board, until Jack Farrell found the back of the net for Annascaul in the 11th minute, leaving the score at 1-4 to 4 points with Jason Carmody and Nigel O Connor kicking points. At the first half water break, Annascaul continued to lead 1-5 to 5 points. By half time both sides were down to 14 men; Duagh’s Nigel O’Connor and Colm Moriarty for Annascaul. The West Kerrymen held a 1 point lead at half time, 1-6 to 8 points.


The second half followed the same pattern as the first, with the sides exchanging scores as play went from end to end at a fast pace. At the second half water break Annascaul continued to maintain their lead, 1-11 to 10 points and looked to have booked their semi final place. However, Duagh put in a storming finish and were unlucky in the end not to have found the net but a teak tough Annascaul defence held on for victory. Martin Scannell, Anthony Maher, Ted Moloney, Jason Carmody,Kieran Quirke were the remaining scorers for Duagh while James Crean, Aiden Crean, Jason Hickson and Killian Falvey were the chief scorers for Annascaul.

Cordal 0-12 Castlegregory 1-17
The first half was a pure treat for all present with Castle delighted to see their form return (after their last outing in the West Kerry Championship).Colm O Mahoney had his kicking boots on, 2 scores from a mark and a free and another sweet one cutting back in on his left. Brandon Hoare slotted over after a well worked move, Jimmy O Grady scored his frees and Alan Fitz, in real up-tempo form was to kick a fine score from play. However as fine as that all was Castle were still conceding fouls and scores, (Cordal's Brian Reidy kicked 3pts), struggling in midfield and having difficulty winning any of the long kickouts that Sean Óg Ó Ciardubhain was pushing forward. A fine 50 yrd point scored from the same man seemed to drive Cordal on-half time Cordal 0-08 Castlegregory 0-06.

But there was no panic...a little bit of tactics, a few positional changes and in came Cian O Grady, and from the get go he was to make his mark. Working in the middle of the pitch he set Anto Kelliher through to score a point from play and then the energised Brandon Hoare recovered a turnover in his own half, moved forward 30 yds, fed Cian and he in turn dodged a couple of tackles and rifled to the net. Eamon O Donoghue pulled a point back. Rapid points from Brandon Hoare, Jimmy O Grady, his brother Cian again and then another from the hard working Michael Scanlon gave Castle that little edge. A further long range free, kicked off the ground by centre fwd Jimmy O Grady split the posts and at the second water break it was 1-12 to 0-10 in Castle's favour. Cordal were driving forward in numbers but resolute defending, (John Joe Hussey and keeper Shane Kenny in particular were in top form) frustrated their attacks and scores were few, Kevin Walsh pulling one back. That much needed goal looked less and less likely. On the flip side, Alan Fitzgerald, Timmy Moriarty, Maurice Slattery and the rest were covering every blade of grass.....going forward the movement was sharp and flowing, possession was held, the ball reworked and points came from Anto Kelliher, Maurice Slattery and Jimmy O Grady.


Knocknagoshel 0-14 Beale 3-17
Played in ideal sunny conditions, very little separated them on the field of play and it was tit for tat on the scoreboard. While Beale ended with a flourish, it was not really until the final quarter that they put their stamp on the game. Both teams played free-flowing football and the limited number of spectators witnessed an enjoyable, competitive game.

Beale registered the first point from the throw-in after a delightful move by Barry O’Neill was pointed by Eric Daly. Knocknagoshel’s John Walsh hit back and his brother, James, pointed a free to take the lead. This was indeed the story of the first half with the teams taking turns edging ahead and been pulled back. No more than a point separated them at any time until close to the interval and Beale went in two points to the good, 0-9 to 0-7. Both defences stood firm as swift forward movements came fast and furious from both squads. The Walsh brothers, James and Edmond, were to the fore, scoring for Knocknagoshel, as well as Michael Keane. Gorman, Linnane and O’Neill contributed Beale’s scores while Conor Toomey, who had come on as substitute for the injured Mannix, hit the ground running as he kicked over a point immediately on his introduction.

Knocknagoshel meant business on the changeover. Beale began to lose shape and Knocknagoshel came more into the game. James and Ed Walsh again struck two fast points. Eric Daly tried to steady the ship for Beale with a superb point. Then it was Knocknagoshel who fell ragged and were wasteful upfront, hitting three wides on the trot while Linnane gave Beale the lead once more. The turning point of the game came when Beale’s Neilus Mulvihill powered up through the centre of the pitch and laid off to young Barry O’Nell who rattled the net. Beale won the resulting kick-out and worked the ball through to danger man, Daly, whose rocketed shot for goal went over for a point. Beale now had a four-point advantage. However, James Walsh again pulled them back and a goal separated them at the water break, 1-12 to 0-12. Beale then hit a purple patch. A goal by Conor Toomey and a point by Linnane sent them on their way. Ed Walsh kept Knock in touch, pointing two frees. But the writing was on the wall for them with Beale’s third goal. Johnny O’Sullivan, despite the attention of defenders Brosnan and Reidy, raised the green flag. There was no way back now for Knock and Beale ran out comfortable winners.


Beale’s Neilus Mulvihill commanded midfield and gave a magnificent display of superb, high fielding time and time again. Killian Walsh-O’Boyle was on top for Beale defence, clearing the danger zone and making dashing moves up the pitch. The tenacious John Griffin made passage for score difficult for John Walsh while a great tussle ensued between Beale’s Jeremy King at full back and Dylan Curtin. James Walsh was a great leader for Knock, taking advantage of every opportunity. Centre forward, Edmond Walsh, lead the forward charge and his accuracy kept Knock in touch. Beale’s youthful forwards, Toomey, O’Neill, Daly and O’Sullivan, proved a handful for the Knock defence.

Novie 1/4 Finals

Lios Póil 2-16 Sneem/Derrynane 1-11
Lios Póil started the brighter of these two sides but failed to take advantage of their early possession. In the tenth minute however they finally cracked the Sneem/Derrynane defence with Deaglán Ó Súilleabháin rattling the net, in a move started in defence by corner back Seán Ó Nuanáin. Lios Póil 1-01 Sneem/Derrynane 0-02. Sneem/Derrynane stuck to their task however and Ian Galvin and Conor O’Brien kept the scoreboard ticking over with some good points from play and from frees. Speedster Tim Murphy tested the Lios Póil goalkeeper on two occasions in the 15th and 20th minute, but Micheál Ó Cinnéide was up to the test, palming one of Murphy’s efforts over the Bar. Maitiú Seán Ó Grifín and Donnacha Ó hUigin were controlling midfield and two points from Ó Grifín left the scores at 1-09 to 0-08 at half time.


Lios Póil emerged from half time with real intent and Daragh Ó Brosnacháín immediately lofted over a fine point after a driving run by Aodhán MacGearilt. Lios Póil then went on to register five more unanswered points, 3 from the boot of eagle-eyed Cathal Ó’Súilleabháin, and went into the water break on 16 minutes with the score at 1-15 to 0-09. Despite the mountain to climb, Sneem/Derrynane gave it their best effort after the water break and a goal from the lively Ian Galvin left just five points between the sides with five minutes remaining. The comeback was stopped in its tracks however as a lovely passing move up the length of the pitch by Alan Ó Dúbhán and Colm Ó Muirthille , set up Cathal Ó Suilleabhán to finish expertly to the net.

Tuosist 1-14 Moyvane0-15
Although Moyvane were first off the mark with points Tadgh McEvoy and Martin Stack (2) . Tuosist had the better start with centre forward Tadgh Sugrue splitting the Moyvane posts on 3 occasions along with a well taken goal by Colm Brosnan and another point by Cormac O’Sullivan , After the water break Moyvane picked up a gear and although they were chasing the game due to Tuosists bright start, they started to pick off the points to narrow the deficit through Eamon O’Flaherty, Martin Stack, Colin Enright, Tadgh McEvoy and Shane Quinn leaving the Half Time Score Moyvane 0-08 , Tuosist 1-08. The second half began with a Cormac O’Sullivan point for Tuosist quickly followed by 1 a piece from Moyvane’s Micheal Fogarty and Martin Stack. Tadg Sugrue again pointed for Tuosist but Martin Stack and Colin Enright brought Moyvane to within one point of their opponents coming up to the water break. Moyvane had 3 good goal chances that’s just went astray and drew level with 10 minutes to go in the game but it turned out to be Tuosist’s day.

Moyvane Scores: Martin Stack 0-07, Tadgh McEvoy 0-02, Colin Enright 0-02, Micheal Fogarty 0-01, Eamon O Flaherty 0-01, Shane Quinn 0-01. Shane Stack 0-01


Tuosist Scores:Tadgh Sugrue 0-09, Colm Brosnan 1-0, Cormac O’Sullivan 0-03, Liam O Shea 0-01, Seamus Browne 0-01.

Tags used in this article
Share this article

RadioKerry Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.