Valentia Slate bought by Killarney businessman Aidan Forde

nglish: Entrance to slate mine, Valentia Island Main entrance to the Valentia Island slate mine, being worked today by Valentia Slate Ltd. To the side of the roadway and above the cave-like entrance is a grotto and place of worship dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes and Saint Bernadette. Date 2 October 2006 Source From geograph.org.uk Author John Gibson Attribution (required by the license) John Gibson / Entrance to slate mine, Valentia Island / CC BY-SA 2.0

The renowned South Kerry business, Valentia Slate has been sold.

Company director, Micheál Lyne has confirmed it’s been bought by Killarney businessman Aidan Forde.

Valentia Slate once employed 450 people in the 1850s, and over the years has provided slate for the British Houses of Parliament, but it went into decline and closed in 1911.

It was reopened at the end of 1998; it now employs six people, and has an ongoing contract with Westminster since 2004.

Micheál Lyne believes it’ll go from strength to strength under the new owner Aidan Forde.