The main who donated Killarney House to the State has been inducted into the Irish America Hall of Fame.
The late US building magnate John McShain acquired Kenmare House and land in Killarney in 1956, and extensively renovated it and renamed it Killarney House.
Known as the man who built Washington, he died in 1989, and following his wife’s death in 1998, the house and surrounding land reverted to the State.
The Irish America Hall of Fame commemorates the contribution of Irish men and women to US history.
Founded in 2010 in conjunction with Irish America Magazine, it’s housed at the Dunbrody Famine Ship in New Ross, Co Wexford.