Killarney Legion Into County Football ¼ Finals As Trio Exit Championship


Killarney Legion are into the ¼ Finals of the Garvey’s SuperValu County Senior Football Championship.

They’ve beaten Mid Kerry 2-13 to 2-9 to progress. Gavin Hoare goaled for Mid Kerry within 2 minutes and Ciaran Kennedy did likewise 6 minutes later as they opened up a 6 points advantage. A Conor Keane goal after 20 minutes was followed by a point which tied proceedings. James O’Donoghue goaled for Legion after a mix up in the Mid Kerry defence to put his side ahead by 2-7 to 2-3 and Legion led at the break by 2-8 to 2-3. That was a telling advantage, as they continued to stay ahead. Legion led by 4 approaching the 3/4 mark and and opened up a 7 points advantage before Mid Kerry had the final 3 points of the encounter.
Ger O’Connor reports

3 sides have exited the Championship after losing in Round 2B.

Kenmare Shamrocks went down to Rathmore by 17 points to 15. Rathmore had to survive a late rally from their opponent, who trailed by 4 with 10 minutes to go. Rathmore themselves were behind at the break, 0-9 to 0-6.
Colm Kelly reports

Shannon Rangers were beaten by St Brendan’s, 6-11 to 16 points. The opening goal came in the first minute from Stefan Okunbor but Shannon Rangers fought back and the tie was level 7 minutes from half time at 1-3 to 0-6. Brendan’s then goaled twice in a five minute spell through David O’Callaghan and Diarmuid O’Connor to open up a 3-4 to 0-7 lead at half-time. When David O’Callaghan netted in the 40th minute it was essentially game over and Bobby O’Regan and David Griffin also goaled before the finish. Timmy Sheehan reports

Kenmare District lost to An Ghaeltacht by 2-18 to 5 points. Kenmare, who went into this game without Killian Spillane and Tadhg Morley, had just two named subs on their team sheet-including their sub keeper.
An Ghaeltacht led 0-4 to 0-2 midway through the opening period and extended that gap to 0-7 to 0-3 by the short whistle. An Ghaeltacht continued to notch up the scores and a goal from man of the match Gearoid Mac an tSaoir increased their lead to 1-12 to 0-3, making the remainder of the tie a formality. Tim Moynihan reports

There are 4 more matches today in Round 2 of the Championship.

There’s a 2A double header at Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney.

East Kerry v Dingle is at 2, followed at 3.45 by Dr Crokes v Kerins O Rahillys.

Also in 2A, at 2.30, South Kerry host Austin Stacks in Caherciveen.

Listowel is the venue for the Round 2B clash of Feale Rangers and St Kierans at 2.30.

The Round 3 draw will take place following Dr.Crokes v Kerins O Rahillys.