Kerry Battle Hard For Place In the All Ireland Final

At half time it was Mayo who had the advantage over Kerry 2-5 to 1-5. The second half hadn’t started when the referee had to issue 2 yellow cards. Aidan O’Shea was sent to the sideline after the ref was not happy with his injury. It looked to be that Aidan seemed to be concussed. The second half begun. Just like the first half Kerry gave away a silly free and it was pointed by Mayo. Fionn Fitzgearld recieved a black card after pulling a Mayo player to the ground and was replaced by Pa Kilkenny. Paul Geaney was replayed by Barry John Keane. Peter Crowley and Killian Young combined to pass the ball to James O’Donoghue who slotted it over the bar. Kerry were awarded a penalty 7 minutes into the second half after Donaghy caught a high ball and passed it off to O’Donoghue who was pulled down and was slotted into the back of the net by O’Dongohue. The game was level once again 2-6 a piece. Aidan O’Shea came back in after he was given the all clear. Kerry still dominated the midfield area. Marc O’Shea got his first point giving Kerry a 2 point lead. Mayo’s third goal came after a high ball went into Brian Kelly but he lost it and Mayo’s Kevin Mc Loughlin was there to punch it into the goal. Kerry trailed by a point after that goal. Kieran Donaghy leveled the game once again, 2-9 to 3-6. Mayo then responded with a point form Andy Moran. Declan O’Sullivan was introduced and replaced Johnny Buckley. Kieran O’Leary came in for Michael Geaney. Kerry received a second penalty when the ball skipped over Mayo defense and James O’Donoghue was pulled to the ground. It was no bother to James O’Donoghue as he slotted the ball home. Mayo responded with a point but it was Kerry who lead by a slender point with 6 minutes left to play. Mayo started to take over the game, playing very strong football. Jonathan Lyne came in for Donnchadh Walsh with one minute left of normal time. Donal Vaughan went through the Kerry defense to level the game in injury time. Mayo got a last second free and Robert Hennelly the keeper came up to take it but it just went short and Donaghy was just under the crossbar to catch it and that is where the ref ended it. Kerry 3-11 Mayo 3-11 as the game headed to extra time. Aidan O’Se did not start the first half of extra time. Mayo registered the first score of extra time. Shortly after that Mayo got their second point and seemed to be on top. Kieran Donaghy got a free after he was pulled and pushed and it was Barry John Keane to point it. Declan O’Sullivan got Kerry another free after brilliant play, selling a few dummies and Barry John Keane pointed and the sides were level again. 3-13 apiece. Kerry started putting low ball into Donaghy which wasn’t working. The ref blew for half time. Kerry 3-13 Kerry 3-13. Mark Griffin replaced Peter Crowley and James O’Donoghe was replaced by Paul Geaney. Kerry won the throw in. Jonathon Lyne just inside the 45 pointed to put Kerry ahead once again. Aidan O’Mahony won a free but went down with an injury and asked to be substituted which looked like hamstring trouble and was replaced with by Bryan Sheehan. Paul Geaney pointed for Kerry to put 2 points between the sides after Geaney was being pulled by his marker but shrug off the challenge. Jonathon Lyne received the ball from Bryan Sheehan to put the ball over the line and put 3 points between the sides. Mayo needed to look for a goal with one minute left to play. Mayo got a free in on the 14 meter line but a fight broke out on the end line. Donaghy and Maher received a yellow card each but none were issued to Mayo. Instead of Mayo taking the point, he tried for a goal but it was blocked and Killian Young gathered and went away with the ball. Cillian O’Connor received a red card after a blatant kick on Killian Young and Mayo lost the free and it went in for a throw. Kerry won 3-16 to 3-13.