An initiative has been launched in Tralee to ensure the town builds on its safe and welcoming experience for visitors.
Tralee Chamber Alliance is co-ordinating the cluster programme with Tralee Garda Station.
Two gardaí have be directly assigned to each of seven clusters in the town to directly liaise with business owners and they’ll undertake daily foot and bike patrols.
The seven community business districts are:
- Tess Quarter: Dominick St, Abbey St, Lower Bridge St, Day Place
- Town Core: The Mall, Upper Bridge St, The Square, Abbey Plaza, Mary St
- The Rock: Rock St, Russel St, Pembroke St, Market Lane
- Market Area: Ashe St, Church St, Market St
- Castle St Area: Castle Street, Moyderwell (part), Edward St
- Historic Area: Denny St, Denny Lane
- Manor West: Manor West Retail Park and adjoining retail areas
The programme will also see business owners hold quarterly meetings through the Chamber with their assigned Garda, aimed at stamping out theft from shops and other crimes.
The programme will primarily run from 12 noon to 8pm daily, but gardaí say they’re working with the Chamber on developing new programmes focused on night-time activity in Tralee.
Ken Tobin of Tralee Chamber Alliance says they are aiming for a zero-tolerance approach to anti-social behaviour, business theft, and crime.