Credit Union County Senior Football League Div 2 Review

Castleisland Desmonds 2-8 Milltown/Castlemaine 0-9
Colm Kelly reports

Na Gaeil 4-17 Listowel Emmets 4-6
Timmy Sheehan reports

Kilcummin 1-27 Currow 1-14

There were just two points between the teams after ten minutes with Matthew Keane for Kilcummin and Daniel O’Shea for Currow in fine form. But from there to half time Kilcummin were in complete control and tacked on points at will. Shane McSweeney and Mikey O’Shea kicked five points between them while Currow were mainly dependant on Sheamus Scanlon and Daniel O’Shea to respond. However, Brendan Kealy needed to make two good saves for the home team to adorn his two long range points. In the final minutes of the half Luke Fitzgerald got his fist to a ball to goal to leave the half time score Kilcummin 0-17 Currow 1-5.

Kilcummin lost Kieran Murphy and Sean O’Leary to injury for the second half but never really looked in trouble despite some good Currow points from Sheamus Brosnan, Mike McCarthy and Daniel O’Shea and were able to introduce their full complement of substitutes. Matthew Keane continued to kick some fine points but the score of the day was a Kilcummin goal from substitute James Nagle after a fine move. John McCarthy, Mikey O’Shea and Sean Moynihan made very telling contributions for a Kilcummin team that has continued its fine form since the County Intermediate triumph.

Kenmare 2-19 Ardfert 0-13

Austin Stacks 1-16 Dromid Pearses 0-9

Stacks made it four wins out of five in this one-sided affair. The home side had 1-10 on the board before the visitors got their opening score – a pointed free by Niall Ó Sé in the 25th minute. Darragh O’Brien, with 1-6 and his brother Ferdia with three points were the chief scorers for Stacks in the first half Stacks had this game wrapped up at half time with a lead of 1-12 to 0-2.
Dromid did much better in the second half, outscoring the opposition by 0-7 to 0-4 – all their scores, bar one, coming from centre-forward, Niall Ó Sé and full forward, Christóir Ó Faircheallaigh.

Austin Stacks: Darragh O’Brien (1-6), Ferdia O’Brien (0-4), and Shane Carroll David Mannix, Michael O’Donnell, Wayne Guthrie, Pa McCarthy and Greg Horan (0-1 each).
Dromid: Niall Ó Sé and Christóir Ó Faircheallaigh (0-4 each) and Graham Ó Suilleabháin (0-1).

Ballymacelligott 3-9 Glenflesk 1-15

Glenflesk opened the scoring with a well taken free kick by Darragh Roche, awarded only seconds into the game, and this was quickly followed by a responding point from Ballymac’s Aiden Breen and another from Dara Keane. At this stage Ballymac were already in a position to dominate this game and held strong for the entire first half defending well each team scoring point for point and keeping the scoreline level throughout but when Glenflesk’s Darragh Roche did manage to break through the Ballymac defence and score an outstanding goal, the Ballymac side were not to be deterred and Vinnie Horan score two good goals to go into the break in the lead . A special mention has to be given to the Ballymac Goalkeeper Brian Lonergan who pulled off an almighty save when the Glenflesk side attempted to go into the break with a goal in hand only to be denied by the talent of this new young goalkeeper. The half time score was 2-06 to Ballymac to Glenflesks 1-08
The second half was always going to be a tense affair with all to play for and the visitors were taken by surprise when Ballymac’s Dara Keane made his way past the Glenflesk keeper within only 20 seconds into the half and he scored a well placed goal, leaving them to dominate the scoreboard from the beginning. Each team fought hard throughout the remaining 30 minutes with points from Ballymacs Vinnie Horan and Genie Griffen, but the Glenflesk side were not to be taken down easily and fought back by scoring seven points from the ever talented Darragh Roche, Micheal O’Shea and Jeff O’Donoghue. At the full time whistle however the game finished level but it was not from the lack of each team working hard to take away a win.