Court hears details of crime spree in North Kerry and West Limerick

Tralee Circuit Court has heard how two men carried out a spate of burglaries across North Kerry and West Limerick.

Patrick Roche, aged 43, of 27 Woodview, Tralee, and 25-year-old Martin O’Sullivan with addresses at 12b Market St, Tralee and Athea, Co Limerick pleaded guilty to burglary, theft and criminal damage offences, which occurred between the 31st of May and 2nd of June last year.

Tralee Circuit Court heard Martin O’Sullivan is facing 25 counts, while Mr Roche is facing eight counts.

In mitigation, barrister Richard Liston said his client, Mr O’Sullivan, admitted to crimes which had not even been reported to gardaí at the time.

Both accused men cited gambling and drugs debts as their motives for the crime spree.

On May 31st last, the two accused entered Collins’ Shop in Athea, broke a glass panel and took cigarettes.

Mr O’Sullivan then took €50 from a till in Griffin’s Butchers, Athea.

The next day, the two men committed burglary and criminal damage offences at Mullane’s Petrol Station, following the ramming of the shop by Mr O’Sullivan’s car.

They also attempted to burglar Electrical Rewinds in Listowel, however, they failed because the owner reinforced the exterior glass panels following a previous attempt by Mr O’Sullivan to break in.

The following day, the men went to Adams’ Garage in Glin, where Mr O’Sullivan damaged two cars and took oil drums.

Burglary and criminal damage offences were committed in the Athea United clubhouse: a strimmer was taken and the roller door was rammed by a car.

Tea, coffee and a football pump were taken from the Athea GAA clubhouse, while lifesaving equipment was thrown into a river at the Glin lifeguard station.

In Lower Athea, an unoccupied house was broken into, the house was ransacked, the gate rammed and a TV taken.

An uncle of Mr O’Sullivan was also affected; his front gate was rammed and a window in his home broken.

In Abbeyfeale, Broderick’s Store on New Street and Kathleen’s Foodstore were also burgled.
Judge Tom O’Donnell adjourned sentencing until July 16th.