County Senior Football League Div 5 Review

Div 5 Play-off
Duagh 2-11 Scartaglin 1-8

Duagh will contest division 4 football next season following a deserved victory over Scartaglen on Sunday in Brosna. Scartaglen were forced into positional & late changes before the game forcing Scartaglen to change tactics. Duagh were first on the scoresheet when Daniel O’Donoghue pointed inside the first minute. It wasn’t until the 20th minute that Scartaglen got their first score of the afternoon; a pointed free from Shay Walsh. In between this Scartaglen had registered 4 wides while Duagh added a goal from play from Joey Shannahan. Scartaglen would go on to add a further 1-01 in the half; a pointed free from Shay Walsh, his second of the afternoon and a Pa Rahilly goal. Duagh would added a further 1-04 in the half; Nigel O’Connor in the 24th minute from play and Martin Scanlon with 1-02 2f. Duagh’s second goal came from winning the ball from the kickout and driving at the Scartaglen defence before Scanlon finished to the back of the net. Scartaglen would finish the half with a point from play; Daniel Murphy’s first of the afternoon. The halftime score was Duagh 2-05(11) Scartaglen 1-02(5). It was a half that was to prove costly for Scartaglen as they registered 7 wides in the first half to Duagh’s 4 wides.

Eddie Horan was introduced at halftime for Tom Forde and Scartaglen were first to register on the scoreboard in the second half; Shay Walsh with his second free of the afternoon. With both teams living on the edge at times referee John Griffin yellow carded Mike Coakley & Anthony Maher. Duagh started the half like Scartaglen started the first with missing chances. Scartaglen were beginning to make inroads into the Duagh lead and Shay Walsh added a further two frees. The score now read Scartaglen 1-05 to Duagh 2-05. The crowd were beginning to sense a Scartaglen comeback and this was hyped even more when Eddie Horan pointed from play in the 48th minute to reduce the deficit to two points. Mike Coakley had a chance soon after to make it a one-point game, but his shot drove wide. Duagh extended the lead out to three points soon after before Eddie Horan had the deficit back down to two with his second of the afternoon. Duagh were beginning to come back into the game and added another score before Eddie Horan grabbed his third of the afternoon. Despite being ill Eddie’s contribution in the second half was immense as he was causing trouble inside anytime the ball went into him. Duagh now got a stranglehold on the game scoring four unanswered points; Martin Scanlon 0-3f & Thomas Scanlon 0-1. The deficit was now 6 points and with time nearly up it was a lead they were never going to relinquish. Scartaglen had a chance to add a consolation goal at the end but Duagh keeper Jer Kelly saved Shay Walsh’s attempt from the penalty spot.

Scartaglen Scorers:
Shay Walsh 0-4f, P Rahilly (1-0), Eddie Horan (0-3), Daniel Murphy (0-1)

Duagh Scorers:
Martin Scanlon (1-6f), Nigel O’Connor (0-2), Joey Shannahan, 1-1, Daniel O’Donoghue (0-1), Thomas Scanlon (0-1)