County League Div 2 Round Up

Legion 3-14 Spa 3-12, Legion won by 2.

With a full time report here is Jason O Connor

Glenflesk 2-12 Listry 3-8


Beaufort 3-10 Ardfert 0-11

Beaufort played host to Ardfert in Round 1 of the County Senior League Division 2 on Sunday, 19th March.  Ardfert got down to business early on in the game with Mike Moloney and Kevin Shanahan each scoring points from play and John Egan scoring one from a free in the first four minutes.  Beaufort responded well however, with two points from Padraig O’Sullivan and one from Fergal Hallissey all from play.  Over the next five minutes or so both teams struggled with possession but this ended with a free for Ardfert to be taken by John Egan who put the ball over the bar with ease.  Beaufort once again responded well, scoring a point a minute from Ger Hartnett, Liam Carey and Ronan Ferris but Ardfert were never too far behind with Shane Griffin scoring a point from play and John Egan pointing once again  from a free.  Beaufort did however increase the lead towards half time when Ronan Ferris scored the first goal of the afternoon after being set up nicely by Darragh Coffey and this was followed by a further point from a free for Fergal Hallissey.  Half Time Score: Beaufort 1-07  Ardfert 0-06

Beaufort had a thrilling start to the second half with a goal for Francis Courtney, assisted by Liam Carey and Ronan Ferris within the first sixty seconds.  This was followed by two points for Ardfert, one from play and one from a free.  Beaufort’s Sean Kelliher was given a yellow card in the sixth minute and the resulting free for Ardfert was sent wide of the post.    Ardfert did however follow this up with two points from Shane Griffin and Daithi Griffin, both from play.  Beaufort’s Danny Healy was introduced to the game mid-way through the second half in place of an injured Sean Fogarty.  Seventeen minutes after their last score the home side were awarded a free for a tackle on Danny Healy, this was taken by Fergal Hallissey who scored a point.  Ardfert’s final score of the afternoon came from Kieran Fitzgerald, scoring a point from play but this was answered by Beaufort’s Fergal Hallissey also scoring a point from play.  In the closing three minutes of the second half Francis Courtney scored his second goal of the afternoon, assisted by Liam Carey.  Conor Breen was introduced in place of Padraig O’Sullivan and Ronan Ferris and Danny Healy were both given yellow cards.  Full Time Score: Beaufort 3-10  Ardfert 0-11

Beaufort: Mike Moriarty, Michael John O’Connor, Ger Hartnett, Cormac O’Connor, Sean Fogarty, Shane O’Sullivan, Sean Kelliher, Fergal Hallissey, Mike Breen, Ronan Ferris, Liam Carey, Brendan Cronin, Darragh Coffey, Francis Courtney, Padraig O’Sullivan. Subs: Danny Healy, Conor Breen, Jason Foley, Joe Glynwood, Jonathan Kissane, Padraig Hallissey, Aaron Foley, Cian O’Sullivan.

Ardfert: Nicky Sullivan, Jack McCarthy, Trevor Wallace, Mike Moloney, Eoghan Courtney, Daithi Griffin, Gearoid Sheehan, John Dowling, Kevin Shanahan, Eric Leen, Jerry Wallace, Fionan Morgan, Shane Griffin, Kieran Fitzgerald, John Egan. Subs: Eoin McElligott, Daniel Finnegan, Paudie Carroll, Jamie Horgan.


Kilcummin 0-11 Kenmare 1-10

A last second goal by Kenmare’s Shane O Sullivan sent Kenmare’s supporters home in great form and left Kilcummin’s followers wondering how they managed to lose this game. In what was a pretty average first half, due to some degree by the weather conditions, both sides missed many chances but also got some fine scores from the likes of Kenmare’s Dean Cassidy and Kilcummin’s Noel Duggan. At half time Kilcummin lead by a single point 0-6 to 0-5 having played against the breeze and were unlucky to see a powerful Noel Duggan shot come off the upright.


The third quarter saw complete Kilcummin dominance but they wasted numerous scoring chances, kicked some poor wides and found themselves only level at 9 points each with 10 minutes left. With the likes of Dara Crowley and Mike Randles exerting a much better influence on the game Kenmare drove forward and added good scores from Kevin O Sullivan and Dean Cassidy. However Kilcummin rallied and thanks to scores from Noel Duggan, Richie O Connor and Damien O Leary they looked to have just about won it until that final surge forward that saw the Kenmare centre back drill a low ball to  Kieran Fleming’s net and capture two precious points .


Emmets 1-11 Waterville 1-09

Frank Sheehy Park was the venue for the opening County League encounter between Listowel Emmets and a resilient Waterville side in tough conditions on Sunday afternoon last.

Conor Cox opened the scoring for the home side after some good work from midfielder Bryan Sweeney, both of whom went on to play very well. It took the sides a few minutes to settle in to the game with both teams guilty of some mis-placed passing and chances were at a minimum at both ends. The game sprang to life in the 12th minute when Stephen O’ Dwyer had his shot for a point deflected in over Emmets custodian Keith Hughes for a very fortunate opening goal. O’ Dwyer added a point on the quarter mark before corner forward Barry O’ Dwyer stretched the visitor’s lead to four and Waterville were laying down a marker here. With twenty minutes on the clock, up stepped Listowel’s Noel Kennelly who fired over a super point after a lovely one-two between himself and Bryan Sweeney. Conor Cox reduced the deficit further with a pointed free which was quickly cancelled out by a placed effort from Seamus O’ Sullivan at the other end. The final five minutes of the half were dominated by Listowel with Niall Collins and Shane Quinn forcing some important turnovers in defence and Maurice Whelan and David Sheehy showing well up front. Noel Kennelly put over another great score which was quickly followed by a brace of Conor Cox frees to level the game and leave the score reading Emmets 0-06 Waterville 1-03 at the break.


Emmets began the second half where they left off with Sweeney off-loading a mark to set up a move which ended in a David Sheehy goal. Emmets seemed to be getting on top now and when Darragh Leahy fired over two excellent scores in quick succession things were looking bleak for the visitors. Seamus O’ Sullivan dispatched another free to keep them in touch before the evergreen Kennelly fired over his third of the afternoon after intercepting a quickly taken free in the Waterville half-back line. O’ Sullivan and Cox both traded placed efforts before the men from South Kerry got their second wind and attacked Listowel at will. Two points from Barry O’ Dwyer put just three points between the sides before Emmets substitute David Keane put more light between them with a lovely taken score with the clock running down. Waterville kept plugging away but two late frees from Seamus O’ Sullivan were not enough as Emmets got this year’s County League campaign off to a winning start.


Listowel will be delighted with this victory particularly as some of the younger and inexperienced players showed well and look to have a bright future at Senior level. Shane Quinn and Niall Collins had excellent games at the back while Darragh Leahy had an industrious outing around the middle with the talented Bryan Sweeney. Up front Rob Smith played well in his first Senior County League outing while Conor Cox and Noel Kennelly had their shooting boots well and truly shined up for this one, Kennelly proving that class is indeed permanent with an excellent all-round display. Listowel also welcomed back Ger McCarthy who has been side-lined for some time with a bad injury and his presence is sure to be a huge asset as the season kicks into full gear.


Final Score: Emmets 1-11 Waterville 1-09

Listowel Emmets: K Hughes, S Quinn, D Broderick, J Heaphy, N Collins, J McGuire, C Keane, B Sweeney, D Leahy, R Smith, M Whelan, D Sheehy, C Cox, N Kennelly, S Tarrant.

Subs used: S Gilbert, G McCarthy, D Keane, J Wall


Currow            2-11     St. Pats Blennerville 1_13

Currow played St Pats in Currow on Sunday in the opening round of the County League. With a strong wind favouring the home side in the first half they raced into a 3 points lead with scores from John Buckley, John McMahon and Pa McCarthy. St Pats replied through Kieran Hurley on 6 minutes. John Buckley added another point on 11 minutes. Then St Pats had a purple patch scoring 6 great points into the wind through Kieran and Willie Hurley, David  O’Callaghan and Brendan Poff to lead 7 points to 4 with 25 minutes gone in the first half. Timmy O Leary then struck for a goal and Padraig O’Shea got a second within 2 minutes to leave the half time score 2-5 to 0-8 in favour of the home team.


St. Pats started the second half with the wind at their backs and took full advantage with Kieran Hurley adding a goal and 2 more points to his tally for the day to put Pats ahead. .Currow fought back and points from John Buckley, Luke Fitzgerald and Ian Somers put them a point up going into stoppage time. Luke Fitzgerald then added a super point for Currow, fisting over after a long solo run. Willie Hurley got one back for Pat’s but on the final whistle Currow had secured their first points of the new campaign on a scoreline of 2-11 to 1-13