County League Div 1 Round Up

Daingean Uí Chúis 0-12 to Ceirín Ó Raithille 0-11

Well it was a really happy St. Patrick’s weekend in Páirc an Ághasaigh for Dingle in this opening game of the Credit Union Senior Football League 2017 Division 1 against Kerins O’Rahillys. . In a closely fought game, it was Dingle that claimed the first two points of the County League with a one point win against Kerins O’Rahillys, Dingle 0-12 to 0-11 Kerins O’Rahillys,

Tommy Walsh opened the scoring with a pointed free for Kerins O’Rahillys. Dingle responded with a pointed free from Mikey Boland and points from play from Darragh O’Sullivan and Mikey Boland again to leave the score after 15 minutes of play in the first half, Dingle 0-03 to Kerins O’Rahillys 0-01. Kerins O’Rahillys levelled the game with two points from play, from Cian Sayers and Tommy Walsh. Dingle reclaimed the lead with a pointed free from Tomás Sheehy. Rory Molloy put Kerins O’Rahillys one up, with a point from play and, just before Referee Billy O’Shea blew the half time whistle, Brian Devane levelled the game with a fine point from play for Dingle.
Half time score: Dingle 0-05 to Kerins O’Rahillys 0-05.

Tommy Walsh opened the scoring in the second half with a point from play for Kerins O’Rahillys. Mikey Boland levelled the game for Dingle with a pointed free. Points from play from Tomás Sheehy and Brian Devane gave Dingle a two point lead, but Kerins O’Rahillys responded with points from frees from Tommy Walsh and Gearoid Savage and a point from play from Kieran O’Mahony to leave the score, with 15 minutes gone in the second half, Dingle 0-09 to Kerins O’Rahillys 0-09.

The turning point of the game came when Kerins O’Rahillys were awarded a penalty. Dingle keeper Gavin H Curran saved the resulting spot kick from Kieran O’Mahony. Dingle broke up the field and Tommy B Brosnan kicked a fine point from play, to put Dingle one up. Liam Brosnan kicked a point from a free for Dingle, but this was cancelled out through a pointed free from Tommy Walsh for Kerins O’Rahillys. Kieran O’Mahony levelled the game with a point from play for Kerins O’Rahillys and it looked like both teams would share the spoils. This was not to be as Dingle won a free kick about forty yards out from the Kerins O’Rahillys goal and substitute Mark Evans kicked the ball over the bar, to put Dingle one up in injury time. Kerins O’Rahillys broke up- field and should definitely have levelled the game again, or even snatched a late winner, but Gavin H Curran saved brilliantly from a Rory Molloy shot. When Referee Billy O’Shea blew the full time whistle, the scoreboard read Dingle 0-12 to Kerins O’Rahillys 0-11.

Dingle: Gavin H Ó Corráin, Mícheál Ó Flannúra, Conor Ó Súilleabháin, Pádraig Ó Conchúir, Seán B. Ó Brosnacháin, Aodhán Ó Conchúir, Tomás B. Ó Brosnacháin (0-01), Dara Ó Súilleabháin (0-01), Mícheál Ó Slatara, Pól Ó Dubháin Brian Ó Dubháin (0-02), Pádraig Mac a’ tSithigh, Tomás Mac a’ tSithigh (0-02, 1fr), Gareth Hicí Ó Brosnacháin (0-01), Mícheál Ó Beolain (0-03, 2fr)) Fir Ionaid: Liam Ó Brosnacháin (0-01, 1fr), Mark Evans (0-01, 1fr)

Kerins O’Rahillys: Gary Kissane, Danny O’Sullivan, Shane Brosnan, David Murphy, Tommy Begley, Ross O’Callaghan, Karl Mullins, Con Barrett, Diarmuid O’Sullivan, Cian Sayers (0-01), Tommy Walsh (0-05, 3fr), Tom Hoare, Gearoid Savage (0-02, 2fr), Kieran O’Mahony (0-02), Rory Molloy (0-01)

Glenbigh/Glencar 1-12 John Mitchells 2-07,

Glenbeigh/Glencar 1-12   John Mitchels 2-06

Glenbeigh/Glencar hosted John Mitchels in their first game of the County League on Sunday afternoon.  This would be Jeremiah Hoare’s last game for a number of weeks as he is heading to the States.   Jeremiah has gone from strength to strength in recent years and has been a big part of the team’s recent successes and will be an undoubted big loss. Glenbeigh/Glencar were happy to have Darran O Sullivan available after Kerry’s drawn National League game with Dublin the evening before.
Glenbeigh/Glencar had got off to a poor start in their last couple of league campaigns and were anxious to get out of the blocks with maximum points from this encounter.  Mitchels had a brilliant start scoring two goals in the opening minutes, as Donal O Neill was left with no chance in goals, as two defence lapses left the Glenbeigh/Glencar goal open for Niall Sheehy,  who dispatched both into the back of the net.  Kieran Courtney has added great point scoring to his game last season and converted another beauty today as Glenbeigh / Glencar started their fight back.  Alan O Donoghue scored Mitchels’ first point of the match, but a great move from Glenbeigh/Glencar and excellent pass from Bernard Murphy was excellently dispatched into the back of Dermot Raggett’s goal by Kieran Courtney to make it 1-01 to 2-01. The home team were in the ascendancy with Pa Kilkenny, in particular, being very impressive,  as he turned defence into attack on numerous occasions.   Jason McKenna came on for Daniel Griffin late into the first half, as an industrious Bernard Murphy scored a fine point, quickly followed by a converted Tommy Cahill free to bring Glenbeigh/Glencar back to within one point as the halftime whistle blew.   Half-time score Glenbeigh/Glencar1-03 to John Mitchells 2-01. Jeremiah Hoare replaced  Vincent for the second half, as the home team looked to kick on from their strong finish to the first half.  Gavan O Grady got the scoring under way for the homeside with an excellent point.   Pa Kilkenny finished off one of his marauding runs with a point, as Glenbeigh/Glencar took the lead for the first time in the match.   Alan O Donoghue levelled the game ten minutes into the half, but it was Glenbeigh/Glencar that were the more cohesive unit, as they turned the screw scoring five unanswered points from Colin McGillicuddy (1), Bernard Murphy (1), Darran O Sullivan (1), Gavan O Grady (2).    The second point from Gavan was an outstanding effort, as he slotted over from an ridiculously acute angle.  Niall Sheehy pulled a point back for Mitchels from a free 17 minutes into the half,  but two more points from Gavan O Grady and Bernard Murphy made the game look safe 1-12 to 2-03.  Podge Griffin and Shane Riordan replaced Stephen O Sullivan and Tommy Cahill.   Mitchels rallied well for the final minutes with points from Conor Hurley  and two frees from Sheehy, to make the final score:  Glenbeigh/Glencar 1-12                    John Mitchels 2-06.

It wasn’t a vintage performance, but a great 20 minute spell in the second half from Glenbeigh/Glencar, scoring 8 points from play deservedly got them over the line.

With a full time report from this fixture , here is Colm Kelly

St Mary’s 0-13 Templenoe 0-7

Rathmore 3-7 An Ghaeltacht 0-9

Milltown/Castlemaine 0-10 Castleisland Desmonds 0-7