County Football League Division 3

Division 3 – Saturday
St Patrick’s Blennerville 1-14 Keel 1-10 – St Pats got back to winning ways last Saturday evening when they defeated Keel in a keenly contested Round 4 County League encounter played in sunny Blennerville in which the home side’s forward, Willie Hurley scored 8 points with 3 of those coming from play. Keel’s Martin Burke put the away side ahead in the first minute when he found space to point over unchallenged. St Pats got on the score sheet from a free taken by Willie Hurley and were unfortunate not to score a goal minutes later when David O’Callaghan’s goal effort was tipped over the bar by Stephen Cahillane. Terry O’Sullivan’s point from close range sent the scores 2 a-piece with only 9 minutes played and they went ahead when Aaron Murphy pointed from a free. St Pats hit back by scoring 3 points without reply through Willie Hurley, from frees and a quick free taken by the same player to Eoin Greaney who cleverly evaded his marker to point from 20 meters. Aaron Murphy halted the run by scoring from a free which was quickly cancelled by another point from Willie Hurley this time with Eoin Greaney providing the decisive pass to ensure St Pats led by 3. Towards the end of the half, Keel’s Aaron Cahillane found space in the middle and ran at the St Pats defence only for him to lose the ball but Colm O’Neill reacted quickest to blast past Paudi Bailey to level the game once again at the break. Half time score St Pats 0-07 Keel’s 1-04.
Both teams introduced a sub each with Breandáin Savage replacing Shane Doyle for the Pats and Dylan Pendergast replacing Colm O’Neill for Keel but it was the home side that started well with Paul McMahon and Breandáin Savage scoring in quick succession to send the Pats 2 points ahead. Aaron Murphy levelled with 2 well taken frees and a line ball by Gary Sayers nudged the away side ahead by a point. Double point-blank saves by Stephen Cahillane from Liam O’Sullivan and Brendan Poff in between another Willie Hurley free kept his side in the game. However, he had no answer for Breandáin Savage’s looping goal on 29 minutes which gave St Pats a one point lead with a minute of normal time remaining. James Foley received a second yellow for Keel but injury time points for Willie Hurley, Paul McMahon and David O’Callaghan ensured that St Pats took all the points as the match ended on a score line of St Pats 1-14 to Keel’s 1-10. It was a gutsy performance by St Pats to edge this game with great displays by the backs, especially Tommy Lynch, Liam Poff’s fielding and timely interceptions, David O’Callaghan’s tireless work rate and the points by Willie Hurley which included a free from the 45m line off his hands. Keel’s goalkeeper, Stephen Cahillane was solid in goals and Aaron Murphy’s 5 converted frees kept them in the game for most parts.

Annascaul 1-13 Ballydonoghue 2-5
Waterville Frank Caseys 0-12 Brosna 1-6
Lispole 1-18 Laune Rangers 2-05 – Following on from last week’s much waited for county final win, Lios Póil added to that historic achievement with an impressive win over Laune Rangers. Laune Rangers were first off the mark with a point in the opening minute by Pa Carey in what proved to be their sole score until a goal at the end of the first half. Lios Póil then took up the challenge and during a spell in which they scored 1:11, before Eamon Carey goaled for Laune Rangers. For Lios Póil the Goal Scorer being Adrian Ó Raoil and Gareth Ó Nuanáin amongst the scorers. The Half time score Lios Poil 1-13 Laune Rangers 1-01.
The second half was not as high scoring, but that was down to a determined defensive performance by Lios Póil, with players such as Eoghan Ó Grifín and Alan Ó Dubhán to name Just two playing their part in keeping Laune Rangers at bay. Laune Rangers did do their best to claw their way into the game with Colm O Shea converting two frees. They also succeeded in scoring a goal but it wasn’t enough and the home side continued their winning ways.


St Senan’s 4-10 Finuge 0-14 – Senans hosted Finuge in a sunny Mountcoal with Sean O’Connell opening the scoring from a free, Finuge’s Ricky Heffernan replied with a pointed free. Sean O’Connell and Eoin o’Connell had further points for Senans, Ricky Heffernan again replied with a point (F). Senans were creating goal chances and when Paudie Dillon passed to Sean T. he rattled the Finuge net putting Senans in a comfortable lead. Darragh Shanahan kicked Finuge’s fourth point and a well taken free by Pat Corridan added another score. Jason Browne crashed goal number two for Senans to the net. Darragh Shanahan and Ricky Heffernan exchanged points with Sean and Eoin O’Connell keeping Senans in a comfortable lead going in at the break. Half time score St. Senans 2-08 Finuge 0-07.
On the resumption Eoin O’Connell registered a Senans point, Jason Browne and Cathal Kennelly had the Finuge keeper collecting the ball from the net with two super goals and as a contest this game was over. Ricky Heffernan Finuge’s main scorer on the day had three points on the trot in the third quarter all from frees. Finuge adding three consolation points and the final point coming from David Foran for Senans.

Listry 2-14 Dr Crokes 1-12 – Crokes opened the scoring with a Chris Doncell point after 2 minutes. However Listry dominated the next 10 minutes scoring 3 points, from Stephen Brosnan, Ronan Buckley and Ant Sweeney. Crokes with a point from Mike Casey before Listry added 2 more points from Joseph Clifford and Anthony Sweeney. Then came the first goal which went to Crokes after Jack Griffin blasted to the net to level the scores after 15 minutes. Crokes took the lead with a point by Mark O Shea before a goal for Listry from Danny Wren restored the home teams lead. Further points for Listry from Ronan Buckley (2) and Joseph Clifford to Crokes points from Mike Casey and David Shaw putting 2 between the sides going in at the break. Half time score Listry 1-08 Crokes 1-06.
Listry started the second half with a goal from Conor O Sullivan inside the first minute. Further points from Anthony Sweeney (2) and Ronan Buckley to a single point from Mike Casey saw Listry led by 2-11 to 1-7 entering the final quarter. Tempers became frayed over the last quarter as Crokes pressed hard to close the gap and with 5 points from Brian O Shea to Listry’s 3 from Aron McCarthy, Ant Sweeney and Joseph Clifford they failed to get the all important goal as Listry won 2-14 to 1-12.