Appeal for Chief Fire Officer to meet councillors about Moyvane fire turned down

Calls for the county’s Chief Fire Officer to meet councillors about a fire in Moyvane have been turned down.

Concerns were raised at Kerry County Council’s meeting about the welfare of firemen that attended the scene last November, which led to the closure of the local school.

The fire service attended a blaze at a cottage on Church Road, Moyvane on November 20th last.

The following day, Murhur National School, which is directly across from the site, closed for the day due to the presence of asbestos in the cottage that had been on fire.

The environment section of Kerry County Council was alerted to the possibility of asbestos being present and conducted tests which confirmed this to be the case.

The owner of the property subsequently demolished it and said specialists would clear asbestos from it.

At the monthly Kerry County Council meeting, councillors raised concerns about the welfare of firemen that tended the blaze, and called for clarity on policies in dealing with such a situation and its aftermath.

Council Chief Executive Moira Murrell said health and safety is a matter for council management, that they have a strong policy in place, and procedures were followed at the scene of the fire.

She said the Chief Fire Officer would not be meeting with councillors to discuss the issue.