Scottish sex offender appears before special sitting of Kerry court

A 38 year old Scottish man, a convicted sex offender in relation to child pornography, has appeared before a special sitting of Killarney District Court, after he was arrested by Tralee Gardai on foot of an alert by Scottish Police. Killarney District Court He has been remanded in custody. Police Scotland had issued an alert in recent days for the whereabouts of 38-year-old George Clingain after he failed to tell them or the Irish Gardai of his location, the court was told. Mr Clingain, of Ravel Row, Park Head, Glasgow, had been living in a tent in Tralee since August 7th last, the special court in Killarney was told. Of late he had slept in the tent under a bridge near Fels Point, the hotel of the Rose of Tralee contestants, the court was told. He made no reply when charged at Tralee Garda station on Sat night of failing to notify the gardai of his address, Det Garda Hurley said. The offence carries a five year sentence.Police Scotland had issued an alert in the past few days and Mr Clingain he was traced to a beach in Tralee. Mr Clingain had been placed on the sex offenders register in Scotland for a period of one year after being convicted in March of child pornography, of taking indecent photographs of a child or children, the detective said. Inspector Donal Ashe said the State objected to bail and wanted him remanded to Cork Prison until Thursday’s district court sitting in Tralee for directions from the DPP. Padraig O’Connell solicitor for Mr Clingain said there would be a guilty plea to the charge and suggested he could reside at a homeless hostel in Tralee until Thursday. Det Hurley agreed with Mr O’Connell that the man had been “totally co-operative” and he had never been in custody on any offence. However the detective told Judge King that he had to consider “the safety aspect for Mr Clingain” if word got out he was on a sex offender’s list. Mr Clingain would be safer in custody in Cork Prison than in an homeless hostel in Tralee where gardai would have no governance over his protection. Judge John King agreed and as directions were expected from the DPP within days and the matter would be over and done with by Thursday next, he remanded Mr Clingain in custody until then. Legal aid was granted as he had no financial means here.