An elderly man who died following a house fire in Moyvane last night has been named locally as Jimmy Fitzgerald.
Mr Fitzgerald, who was in his 70s and lived alone, has been described as a ‘lovely, quiet man’, who was well liked in the community.
Former councillor Pat Leahy said there was a deep sense of shock in the area and people were coming to terms with the loss.
It took four units of the fire brigade about four hours to bring the blaze under control.
The fire started at around 11pm last night at the Woodgrove housing estate in the village.
A Garda spokesman said the fire is being investigated and the scene has been preserved for a forensic examination. However, early indications are that the fire was not suspicious.
It is understood damage was also caused to the adjoining houses.
Mr Fitzgerald’s remains have been removed to University Hospital Kerry where a post-mortem examination will be carried out later today.
Mr Leahy said the Moyvane community would rally around his family.