Building started on the church by John Sisk and sons in 1914 when the population of Valentia at that time was 1,700 and there was only one other catholic church which was at Chapeltown in the centre of the island.
At the time Knightstown was becoming a thriving town with the development of the Transatlantic Cable Company on the island and an influx of tourists.
The bishop of Kerry Dr. John Mangan gave the go ahead for the building of the church and a committee was appointed made up of islanders to assist the parish priest the Rev. William Keane.
The cable Company contributed to the building of the church and the Knight of Kerry at the time provided the site on the shorefront at Knightstown.
The occasion is marked today with a special centenary mass at 2pm celebrated by the Bishop of Kerry Ray Browne.