« BackTeenager died after inhaling aerosol

A teenage boy found dead at a mobile home in Ardfert, died after inhaling an aerosol, an inquest into his death heard.

The inquest was also told that up to one-third of people who inhale butane or propane die the first time they use it.

coroners court

14-year-old Aaron Laide from Drimoleague, Co. Cork, was found dead at his grandparents’ mobile home at Poul Gorm Caravan Park in Ardfert on August 12th last year.

Mairead Higgins thought her grandson was asleep when she checked on him around 9am.

When her husband Joe went to wake him at 9.45am, Aaron was unresponsive.

Paramedic Donal Crowley told Tralee Coroner’s Court an aerosol containing lighter fuel was found by the bed.

Assistant state pathologist Dr Margot Bolster found traces of butane and propane in his blood and concluded he had died suddenly due to volatile substance abuse.

Dr Bolster said young people didn’t realise how dangerous it was, and one-third died after their first time trying it .

The jury at the inquest returned a verdict of death due to the inhalation of butane or propane.

Coroner Helen Lucey said if the message went out that it was so dangerous, it might save someone else.