« BackRecommendations made after death of baby at KGH

hospital bed trolley from PixabayA jury has made a number of recommendations regarding the provision of maternity services in Irish hospitals following an inquest into the death of an infant who died from brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation following delays in his delivery at the maternity unit at Kerry General Hospital.

Milo Scanlon, a three day old infant, late of Cleandries, Causeway, died at Cork University Maternity Hospital on March 30th 2015 after his transfer there from Kerry General Hospital where he was delivered following an emergency Caesarean section on March 27th 2015.
The jury at Cork City Coroners Court recommended that all information be clearly communicated between all medical staff at all times after it emerged that a consultant obstetrician was not given the full details of complications experienced during earlier attempts to deliver baby Milo.
The jury also recommended that all clock and pagers be synchronised to show the correct time after it emerged that there was discrepancies of between six and eight minutes between bleepers used by staff and clocks in the hospital which led to confusion about the exact delay in Milo’s delivery.

The inquest heard evidence from Milo’s mother, Sinead Scanlon and her partner, Mike Mangan.

It included evidence of unsuccesful attempts to deliver the baby, alleged delays in getting to theatre, no light or staff in theatre and a delay in an epidural being topped up which meant Ms Scanlon felt an incision.

Baby Milo was transferred to CUMH later that morning but died there three days later after being taken off a ventilator and a post-mortem revealed that he died from global hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy where he suffered brain damage due to oxygen deprivation during birth.

Barrister for Kerry General Hospital Lorraine Scally said things may not have been perfect but this was people moving as fast they could. She said the outcome was truly regrettable, – not just for the parents but also for all the staff who were involved and who were very upset as a consequence and she apologised on behalf of the hospital.
Coroner, Philip Comyn noted the narrative verdict returned by the jury and thanked them for their recommendations before extending his sympathies to Ms Scanlon and Mr Mangan on the loss of their infant son in such tragic circumstances.