« BackPathologist warns of dangers of ‘designer drugs’

The Assistant State Pathologist has warned of the dangers of ‘designer drugs’ of which she said there were no safe levels.
coroners court
Dr Margot Bolster was speaking at the inquest of a 40-year-old Tralee man who died as a result of polydrug use. James Powell of 3 The Willows, Clonmore, Tralee died at his home on July 16th last. His partner Kylie Gibson told Tralee Coroner’s Court he had not been feeling well that day and had attended his GP, complaining of a sore throat. She said when she went to check on him later that afternoon he was unresponsive and she dialed 999. Attempts to resuscitate Mr Powell by ambulance staff were unsuccessful and the father-of-four was pronounced dead at 17.35pm. A post mortem examination carried out by Dr Margot Bolster at Kerry General Hospital revealed he had died from poly drug use. He had ingested mephedrone, tramadol in the toxic level, and benzo diazepine. Dr Bolster stressed there was no safe level of designer drugs and they could trigger a cardiac arrhythmia in a vulnerable person. The court heard Mr Powell’s father had died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 46.