A scientist from the Environmental Protection Agency is to visit a Tralee school over concerns about radon gas.
It’s after the Department of Education was alerted to a potential problem at St Ita’s and St Joseph’s school.
Radon is a naturally occurring gas linked with up to 250 cases of lung cancer every year; high levels have been found in Kerry, particularly in Tralee and Castleisland.
The Department of Education says it was made aware of concerns about radon at St Ita’s and St Joseph’s school in Tralee earlier this Summer.
It immediately arranged for radon detectors to be sent to the school, and rooms are being tested over a three-month period to determine their individual radon levels.
It says the school was tested in 2012 and showed radon levels were within acceptable levels.
The Department says if the current re-test shows a need for remediation works they’ll pay for them.
They say a senior member of staff from the Environmental Protection Agency, Dr David Fenton will visit the school shortly to speak with and explain to staff the issues surrounding radon, including the impact of radon levels in the home which is where people, including children, spend the vast majority of their time.