« BackElderly Listowel man died from extensive burns

An elderly man died after becoming engulfed in flames when he tried to light a stove in his house.
coroners court
88-year-old Eamon Relihan of 13 Bridge Street, Listowel died on October 7th, 2014. An inquest into his death found he had died from aspiration pneumonia associated with shock due to extensive burns.Mary Relihan was woken at 8.30am by the sound of her husband shouting. She told Tralee Coroner’s Court when she came downstairs she could see a blazing fire in the fire place and another one by the window. She presumed her husband had been trying to light the stove. Sinéad O’Connor was sitting in her car on Bridge Street when she heard Mrs Relihan’s calling for help. She told her her husband was on fire. When Ms O’Connor entered the house she saw a man engulfed in flames, roaring, and dialed 999. More people entered the house and she remembers someone breaking the window to let in air. She said a number of men were trying to drag Mr Relihan outside and she could hear them telling him he was going to be all right. Mr Relihan was pronounced dead by Dr Aoife Brannigan at 16.45pm. Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margot Bolster conducted a post-mortem examination at Kerry General Hospital the following day. She told the inquest Mr Relihan had suffered 2nd degree burns to 60 per cent of his body.