The sitting councillor and brother of Michael, who was elected last night, was elected following the distribution of Michael’s surplus of 7,165 votes.
Following Danny’s late entry into the race a few minutes before the deadline for declarations the brothers adopted a voting strategy.
This asked supporters to give their first preference to Danny or Michael based on where they lived in the county. The number two preference was sought for the other.
The strategy paid off with over 30,000 first preference votes secured for the pair and a huge transfer of Michael’s vote to Danny.
The quota is 13,213.
The turnout in the new five seat constituency was 70.7 %
After count two here is how the field stands….
- Michael Healy Rae IND – 20,378 (elected 1st count)
- Danny Healy Rae IND – 13,826 (+3,835 )(elected 2nd count)
- Brendan Griffin FG– 10,381 (+707 )
- Martin Ferris SF – 10,098 (+640)
- John Brassil FF – 8,642(+486)
- Jimmy Deenihan FG– 6,827 (+338)
- Arthur Spring LAB- 5,011 (+198)
- Norma Moriarty FF– 4,893 (+545)
- Michael Pixie O’Gorman IND– 1,364 (+128)
- Michael Fitzgerald GP– 1,050 (+39)
- Brian Finucane PBP/AAA – 1,046 (+65)
- Grace O’Donnell FG – 817 (+41)
- Donal Corcoran RENUA- 769 (+53)
- Mary Fitzgibbon IND – 690 (+55)
- Kevin Murphy IND –491 (+27)
- Henry Gaynor IND – 155 (+8)
Returning Officer Padraig Burke has now announced he will now distribute Danny Healy Rae’s surplus of 613 votes and this will make up count 3.
The Healy Rae party will now move to Kilgarvan where no doubt the celebrations will last for some time.