Listowel Castle opens to the public today

The newly refurbished Listowel Castle is provisionally opening to the public today. Work on the project began in 1996. Duchas,the Kerry Literary and Cultural Centre Commitee and FAS have been involved in the restoration of the building. The castle dates back to 1430 and was built by The Fitzmaurice family, Lords of Kerry at the time.Over the years the main block of the castle was destroyed. The last eight years have been spent reinforcing the frame of the structure and inserting a stairway at the centre of the building. The castle is to link up with The Literary Centre as a tourist attraction for the town. Its to offically open in may of next year.

SHARE