Court hears testimony of man who alleges he was sexually assaulted in Killarney

Tralee Circuit Criminal Court has heard testimony of a man who alleges he was sexually assaulted by another man at a house in Killarney two years ago.

A 53-year-old man appeared before the court yesterday charged with the alleged sexual assault of a 44-year-old male at an address in Killarney on the 31st of May, 2015.

A jury of six men and six women have been sworn in – Judge John Hannan is presiding over the trial which is expected to last three days.


The alleged victim told prosecuting barrister for the State Tom Rice that he had been drinking with two women in Killarney since approximately 2 o’clock in the afternoon on Saturday May 30th, 2015.

The group encountered the accused during the day and at approximately midnight, the accused, complainant and the two women went to a house in the Killarney area.

The court heard the complainant had consumed “over a dozen pints” over the course of ten hours and had “a few supps” of a can of beer at the house.

The complainant claims the accused, while sitting beside him on the settee in the house, lifted his jumper and placed his hand on the small of his back – at which point he “told him to stop”.

The complainant said he then went to a bedroom in the house where he fell asleep, fully clothed, with his shoes on.

He said he woke up and felt a hand on his private parts.

At first the complaint said he didn’t know who it was, as one of the women was in front of him in the bed.

He said he then realised it was the accused, left the room and contacted Gardaí.

The trial continues this morning at Tralee Circuit Criminal Court.