Cattle died a “horrible, painful death” after ingesting lead from dumped car battery

20 cattle died a “horrible, painful death” after ingesting lead from a car battery dumped in a field in Tarbert. Farm Kerry IFA Chairperson Seán Brosnan also told Radio Kerry News that cattle which survived the lead poisoning have been left blind as a result. Gardaí in Listowel are investigating the incident in which a car battery was dumped in a field in Tarbert, sometime between July 29 and August 2. The battery broke up in the field and the cattle are believed to have ingested the some of the lead-containing contents. In a show of solidarity, over 50 people congregated in Tarbert last night to comb the field in question for any remaining battery parts in an effort to prevent any more animal deaths. Kerry IFA Chair Seán Brosnan said that this type of dumping of hazardous materials is a frequent occurrence across the county, which has devastating consequences. He also said the cattle suffered one of the most painful deaths an animal can suffer: [audio_player src=””] An appeal for information has been issued by Gardaí: contact Listowel Gardaí on 068 21000 or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.