Calls for KCC to examine contents of ceilings in Local Authority houses

Kerry County Council is being called on to examine the contents of ceilings in Local Authority houses after an inquest heard a man died when he was overcome by fumes from a burning ceiling. 61 year old Sean O’Keeffe lost his life after a chip-pan fire at his home in Killarney. Yesterday’s inquest heard that Sean O’Keeffe died when he was overcome by fumes after a chip pan fire in April of this year.The fire happened at his end of terrace house in Pinewood Estate in Killarney. The ceiling in the kitchen/sitting room area melted and dripped onto the floor and onto the armchair where Mr O’Keeffe had been sitting. Detective Garda Paul Moore said some of the material burned the armchair. The assistant State pathologist found the cause of death was acute carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation.The inquest heard that the deceased had managed to turn-off the cooker pilot switch before being overcome by fumes. The Coroner, Terence Casey said the Local Authority should examine the contents of ceilings and, if necessary, they should be replaced as soon as possible.

SHARE